Amartya Sen- India cannot Become Global Economic Power with Uneducated & Unhealthy Workforce
Nobel laureate Amartya Sen visited the London School of Economics (LSE) to discuss his new collection of cultural essays, Country of First Boys. In this Event he was asked on various topics related to India. Amartya Sen conversation with Sonali Campion and Taryana Udayar of LSE, South Asia.
Main topics were the Indian government’s approach to development, Kerala as a model for universal education, healthcare in India, and his faith in democracy. Amartya Sen says, “India is the only country in the world which is trying to become a global economic power with an uneducated and unhealthy labour force.”
More details on Amartya Sen conversation on Indian Issues 2015:
As we all know, every developing countries aspire to high and continuous growth. India is the only country in the world which is trying to become a global economic power with an uneducated and unhealthy labour force.
- India can learn from itself and India has a lot of lessons to give the rest of the world and vice versa.
- It’s never been done before, and never will be done in the future either.
- There is a reason why Europe and America went for universal education.
- Japan, after the Meiji restoration in 1868, got fully literate in 40 years.
- So did the South Korea after the war, and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and China.
He also said, I’m afraid, I agree with him, and his scepticism towards it. There was a reason why someone as intensely keen on the market economy as Adam Smith thought the government has to make the country fully literate, this is something the government can do. America is meant to be very anti-government, but every American has a right to primary school education paid for by the government, you’re picked up from your home by government buses, delivered to your state school and educated there.
Fundamentally, government’s understanding of development underlying their approach is mistaken. Having said that, the previous government was terribly mistaken, too. But one hoped there might be a change, and there has been, but not for the better.
Stay Connected with Results360.in for all Education updates & Results.
Subscribe via Email or Follow us on FB & Twitter for latest Educational news.
Latest posts by Praveen Jain (see all)
- BSEB 12th result 2018 name wise- Bihar board Intermediate result 2018 Arts, Science & Commerce Results DECLARED - June 6, 2018
- CBSE 12th class Result 2018 name wise – CBSE board 12th results region wise & cbse 12th topper list is Declared - May 26, 2018
- Jkbose 10th Results 2018 Name Wise- J&K Board Class 10th/ secondary 2018 Bi-Annual kashmir division Results 2018 Announced - May 11, 2018