Amartya Sen- India cannot Become Global Economic Power with Uneducated & Unhealthy Workforce
Nobel laureate Amartya Sen visited the London School of Economics (LSE) to discuss his new collection of cultural essays, Country of First Boys. In this Event he was asked on various topics related to India. Amartya Sen conversation with Sonali Campion and Taryana Udayar of LSE, South Asia.
Main topics were the Indian government’s approach to development, Kerala as a model for universal education, healthcare in India, and his faith in democracy. Amartya Sen says, “India is the only country in the world which is trying to become a global economic power with an uneducated and unhealthy labour force.”
More details on Amartya Sen conversation on Indian Issues 2015:
As we all know, every developing countries aspire to high and continuous growth. India is the only country in the world which is trying to become a global economic power with an uneducated and unhealthy labour force.
- India can learn from itself and India has a lot of lessons to give the rest of the world and vice versa.
- It’s never been done before, and never will be done in the future either.
- There is a reason why Europe and America went for universal education.
- Japan, after the Meiji restoration in 1868, got fully literate in 40 years.
- So did the South Korea after the war, and Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and China.
He also said, I’m afraid, I agree with him, and his scepticism towards it. There was a reason why someone as intensely keen on the market economy as Adam Smith thought the government has to make the country fully literate, this is something the government can do. America is meant to be very anti-government, but every American has a right to primary school education paid for by the government, you’re picked up from your home by government buses, delivered to your state school and educated there.
Fundamentally, government’s understanding of development underlying their approach is mistaken. Having said that, the previous government was terribly mistaken, too. But one hoped there might be a change, and there has been, but not for the better.
Stay Connected with Results360.in for all Education updates & Results.
Subscribe via Email or Follow us on FB & Twitter for latest Educational news.
Latest posts by Praveen Jain (see all)
- Maharashtra board 12th class result 2017 name wise- Msbshse hsc result 2017 is Declared - May 25, 2017
- Gulbarga University BA 3rd Sem Results Nov 2016- GUG Ba, Bcom, Bsc Result 2016-17 Announced - May 24, 2017
- Mbose hsslc arts results 2017 name wise-Meghalaya 12th hsslc Results 2017 is DECLARED - May 23, 2017