Medical Council of India May be Replaced by National Medical Commission (NMC) – Suggested by Niti Aayog of India
Medical sector is very Important for a huge Country Like India. A high-level committee headed by Niti Aayog vice-chairman Arvind Panagariya is proposing scrapping of Medical Council of India (MCI) and replacing it with the National Medical Commission (NMC).
More details for Medical Council of India to be Replaced by National Medical Commission:
The panel, which is looking into the issue of poor regulation of medical education by MCI, includes Prime Minister’s additional principal secretary PK Mishra, Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and health secretary Bhahanu Pratap Sharma. “The committee has firmed up its decision to scrap the MCI and replace it with the NMC, which will take over all its responsibilities. The main objective behind this is to end the inspector raj in the medical field in the country,” a senior government official said.
What is The Medical Council of India (MCI):-
MCI is a statutory body for establishing uniform and high standards of medical education in India. This MCI Council grants recognition of medical qualifications, gives accreditation to medical schools, grants registration to medical practitioners, and monitors medical practice in India. The current President of MCI is Dr. Jayshreeben Mehta.
What will be the Important Aspect of National Medical Commission (NMC):
- NMC will become the main regulatory body and will take over all roles and responsibilities of the MCI.
- The new body will have eminent doctors and experts from related fields.
- to suggest the direction that should be given to medical education in the country.
- To ensure that the quality of education is at par with global standards.
- NMC will have around 20 members and their tenure will be for 5 years.
- It will also have members from other fields such as economics, law, to inculcate more professionalism.
“The committee held detailed discussions on how to create a world-class professional structure of the new body. Consultations were held with eminent doctors, office holders of the MCI, former health secretaries and medical officers from the states,” he said.
- Senior government official said, that the work on the restructuring is “more than half way through”.
- The biggest change will be that in the existing MCI, the members are elected and it has created the biggest problem as eminent doctors did not get a chance to participate in workings of the MCI, the official said.
- This selection will be done by a high level Search-cum-Selection committee, which will be a transparent process and will work on bringing the best.
The official said, “There will be NMC chairman as well as there will be four boards- Under Graduate Medical Board, Post Graduate Medical Board, Accreditation and Assessment Board and a board for registration of medical colleges and monitoring ethics in the profession.
Subscribe with us via email for all the latest Updates & educational details.
Latest posts by Praveen Jain (see all)
- MJPRU UG Result 2020 Part 1, 2, 3- MJP Rohilkhand University UG main Result 2020 Declared - October 20, 2020
- WBSU Barasat University Gen & Hons Exam Result 2020- West Bengal State University ba, bsc, bcom, bba Part 1 2020 Results Announced - October 19, 2020
- University of Kalyani BA, Bsc, Bcom (General, Hons, Major) Result 2020- Kalyani University Part 1 Result 2020 Updates - September 9, 2020