University Grants Commission wants Universities to have 70% Uniform Curriculum in India
University Grants Commission is the supreme body in India for providing recognition to universities in India. Now, UGC wants all universities to have 70% uniformity in curriculum for undergraduate courses, after introducing the choice based credit system (CBCS) for undergraduate courses.
In a circular to universities, including state, central and deemed universities, on 22nd December 2015, the UGC said, “the CBCS which is already in existence should be adopted by all the universities. It is hoped that even this suggestion by us to have 70% uniformity be implemented as this would ensure seamless mobility of students as well as transfer and mutual recognition of credits across the higher education institutions in the country.”
More Information on Uniform Curriculum in Universities:
UGC is Its headquartered is in New Delhi. This UGC’s suggestion may be for 70% uniformity in UG curriculum courses across the country promises to bring in standardization. The circular means that a UG course offered by a university will have 70% content from the UGC curriculum, while the remaining 30% can be framed by the university .
- For instance, BA English students have writing skills as a subject, which covers documenting, report writing, making notes and letter writing prescribed by UGC.
- In this subject, a university can offer technical writing instead of letter writing. This UGC’s new suggestion has received a mixed response from universities.
There are various statements came to UGC like:
- KN Ninge Gowda, registrar of Bangalore University (BU), has welcomed the UGC’s suggestion saying that having 70% uniformity will enhance the quality of education and promote equality among students of different institutions. To facilitate universities to implement CBCS, the UGC has bought out a detailed syllabi -as a template for 107 UG courses -in consultation with various stakeholders.
- GK Prabhu, director of Manipal Institute of Technology, said the “UGC circular is contradictory because CBCS should give institutions and universities flexibility to have their own academic senates and they should have freedom to frame the curriculum. “I think what the UGC is doing is not right”.
- Jawahar Doreswamy , pro-chan cellor of PES University , said, “Presently , there is around 80% uniformity in different programmes among institutions. But we look forward to following the curriculum of top institutes like IITs and to have a curri culum better than our competitors.
- VG Talawar, vice-chancellor of Reva University , said a good number of curriculum model framed by the UGC is relevant. “But it must be modified every two or three years so that it does not become outdated,” he added.
Stay Connected with Results360.in for all Education updates.
Subscribe via Email or Follow on FB & Twitter for latest Educational news.
Latest posts by Praveen Jain (see all)
- RPSC Ras exam result 2018 name wise- Rajasthan Administrative Services preliminary result & cut off 2018 at rpsc.rajasthan.gov.in - October 25, 2018
- WBSU Barasat University Part 1 Hons. & Gen. Exam 2018 Result- West Bengal State University ba, bsc, bcom, bba Part 1 2018 Result is announced - August 29, 2018
- MJPRU UG Result 2018 Part 1, 2, 3- MJP Rohilkhand University UG main Result 2018 Announced - July 30, 2018